Saturday, January 8, 2011

Easy Peasy Baby Quilt

This baby quilt was incredibly easy.  I made it this afternoon while watching a movie and the movie was only 82 minutes long.

The secret?  Pre-pieced material.  I happened to be cruising the remnant basket at Hobby Lobby and found this 7/8 piece on sale for $6.89.   It's pieced from alternating bits of baby-soft flannel and chenille fabric.   (Mmm...flannel and chenille...two of the best textile sensations in the whole world.) 

Since this is a gift and I don't know if the baby is a boy or a girl, I chose a pale yellow fleece for the backing fabric to match the yellow in the plaid squares and help neutralize the blue.

The remnant said it was 7/8 yard but because you can never be sure with a remnant, I bought one yard of the fleece. Placing the right sides together, I laid the pieced fabric on top and pinned the fabric together around the edges.

Because fleece can sometimes stretch, I didn't cut the fleece to match the top fabric.  I just trimmed it up a bit leaving about a 2 inch margin all the way around.

Then I sewed the pieces together using a 1/4" seam and leaving a 6" gap on one edge to turn the turn quilt the inside out.

After the edges were sewn, I trimmed the fleece down to the edge of the top fabric and then turned the quilt inside out.  I ironed the quilt making sure press the edges as crisply as possible and tucking in the 6" opening used to turn the fabric inside out.

Sew the 6" opening closed, getting as close to the edge as you can.

Top stitch around all 4 edges of the quilt using a 1/4" allowance.

That's it.  That's all there was to it.

See, I told you it was easy and Mom never lies!  (Except about her weight...she doesn't admit that to anyone!)

2 comments:

  1. Unbelievable, but as Ron & I were riding home from S'fld tonight, I happened to think about how I hadn't checked your blog for quite awhile--and then I saw your latest creation linked to FB. :)

    Really love this baby quilt!! Had no idea there was such a thing as premade bolts of this. I do believe even I could make one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job and it definitely doesn't look like it only took 82 minutes!! However, does Rach know you took shortcuts on her baby quilt?? Its only appropriate for half-way ray!

    ReplyDelete