The dilemma...I wanted an ottoman for the reading chair in my bedroom but desired ottoman needed to be small enough so that it didn't obstruct traffic into the bathroom and it also needed to be able offer some storage for books. I finally found an ottoman that was the perfect size and even on wheels so it could easily be rolled out of the way when vacuuming. The problem? I didn't like how it looked.
So I decided to put a skirt around it. The biggest problem was trying to find the right material, no small feat since there are only two places around here that sell fabric. The first is our local WalMart, which after running the local fabric store out of business, now hardly sells any fabric at all. (I hate WalMart but it's the only place we have to shop.) There is a quilting shop in town that sells fabric but their store hours coincide with my work hours so I can never make it in there. Luckily, when we had to make a quick run into a Walmart out of town yesterday, I happened to find some material that I thought might work. I was taking a chance on the color and hated to spend $5.44 a yard for two yards of fabric I would probably never use for anything else but as it turned out, the risk paid off. Not only was the color a perfect match, but I also had guessed right on the amount of material to buy. (That so rarely happens!)
Of course, I spent most of what little free time I had sewing so there wasn't any time left to do any reading but I did manage a test run on the last chapter of my current book and the ottoman worked out perfectly. It's great to have a place to prop my feet up and even better to have a place to store my books. Mission accomplished!